Research matters …..
Donations and diseases – a collection of comments on where we donate versus the diseases that kill us and tips for smart giving.
Tips for smart giving
- Do more due diligence before you donate – check financials, including administration costs and governance.
- Ask yourself: “What is your real passion or interest?”
- Consider giving to fewer non-profits or charities but with a deeper relationship – become more engaged, perhaps volunteering.
- Donate regularly and long-term – deducted from your pay via workplace giving, for example.
- Support operating costs such as marketing and not just sexy projects or programs.
- Ask questions such as: “What are the outcomes of your work? What is the impact of the work you do?”
Louise Walsh, Philanthropy Australia